Dolce & Gabbana has no intention of changing its stand-alone status, according to chief executive Alfonso Dolce. “We decided to stay independent to stay authentic and creative,” Dolce said in an interview. It is crucial for the firm to “plan our own strategy, from shop openings to runway shows to the way we relate to long-time workers and clients”, he said.
Sales are expected to climb back to pre-pandemic levels this financial year, buoyed by North and South America, after dropping 15 per cent to about €1 billion (US$1.16 billion) in the 12 months through March, Dolce said. The company has yet to fully recover from the self-inflicted public relations debacle in China,
Sales in China have rebounded 20 per cent from last year, but remain lower than before the misstep. In the social media firestorm that followed the incident, the brand managed to hang on to existing customers in China, but struggled to win new ones, according to Dolce, brother to designer Domenico Dolce
“Speaking in absolute terms, we haven’t fully overcome the incident,” the chief executive said. “But we have recovered in terms of institutional relations, even if we still suffer some animosity among some groups on the country’s social networks.”
To rebuild its image, the Italian luxury fashion house has been working with two international crisis management companies, and twice took part in China’s International Import Expo in Shanghai to show its commitment to the country. The Italian firm has about 1,200 workers in China and plans to open a new boutique in Shanghai’s Citic Square soon, according to Dolce.
More from ANALYSIS
From Givenchy to Michael Kors, from Ralph Lauren to Prada, a number of luxury fashion brands are seemingly 'soul searching', …
On Wednesday, Balmain unveiled the Spring / Summer 2022 collection at Paris Fashion Week, marking its first fashion show since …